I’m writing a book.
So…yes, it’s true. I am (finally) writing a book. (Yes, like the kind you actually read!!)
Getting to this place has been quite a journey over these past couple of years. Actually, struggle is probably a better word to use. (There’s another word in particular I could use, but won’t.) Just like almost everything else I have felt “called” to do over the years, I have fought and fought and fought (and still fight once in a while, especially this past week). But I’ve finally decided….I’m in. The ball is rolling, and I’m fully committed.
What’s the book about? Well, that’s a good question. I mean, I know what it’s about, but I don’t know. Know what I mean? (That’s right, go ahead and re-read that sentence a couple times and then try to get excited about buying a book written by that author.)
But in all seriousness, I know what the book is about, but I still feel like I need to get a better grasp on defining A) What it is I’m actually saying and B) Who exactly I’m saying it to. (I’m telling you….this can be a greater challenge to define than most people would imagine.)
So I feel like I’m still at the very beginning stages of this thing, but I’m working at it quite aggressively now. I’m thankful for the opportunity I have this summer to turn a lot more of my focus on this project while I’m on my summer study break in July/August.
But with all that said, here are a few more thoughts…
- This is not going to be a book about leading change and transition.
- This is a book that up until about 18 months ago I would have never imagined writing, but now can’t imagine not writing.
- I’ve had to work through a tremendous amount of fear to get to this point. And I’m still working through it – almost daily. But now, instead of barfing….I’m trying to allow that fear to point me in the direction I need to go. It seems that fear tends to do that well. My goal is to try and help the fear sabotage itself.
- I’m considering all types of publishing avenues right now. While I have been approached by a handful of publishers, I have not signed on with anyone at this point.
- I’m very intrigued by and even considering looking into self-publishing.
- I don’t know if numbers 4 & 5 were appropriate to share or not. (This might be why my friends tell me I that I need an agent.)
- I’ve got tremendous amount of support behind me on this project. I’m serious. It’s pretty amazing actually. I feel very, very humbled and fortunate about that.
- I feel like I need to share this journey with you. And so I’m going to do my best to do that as openly and honestly as possible…as long as in the process you don’t classify me as being schizophrenic.
- Lastly, I think you’re going to really, really dig this project. I can’t wait to share more about it soon!