What I Mean by Emerging
Great post by David Foster:
Here’s what I mean when I use the word emerging:
1. I believe that all of life is lived before God, that we do not
compartmentalize our faith, doing one thing at church and another thing
2. I believe the disciplines of theology are meant to be entered
into everyday life, not a separate discussion that is apart from the
experience of conversion.
3. When I say emerging, I am really saying that I’m seeking where
God is moving in this moment; where the new ideas, trends, methods,
ways of presenting the gospel in our current culture are coming from;
to seek to ride the wave that God is sending.
4. When I say emerging, what I’m saying is that there is no
difference between clergy and laymen, that we’re all brothers and
sisters in Christ, equally called, equally gifted, and equally
responsible for the revolution of the gospel of grace.
5. When I say emerging, what I’m saying is, I have no particular
loyalty to a set of systems or methodologies. In some sense I’m a
pragmatist. I’m going to use what works and when it no longer works,
I’m going to set those methods aside to see what new methods God is
bringing to the forefront.
6. When I use the word emerging, I’m saying that I am sick and tired
of labels between conservative, liberal, fundamentalist, and social
action. I think we need to drop those labels and be men and women who
love Jesus and who are loving the world in His name.
7. When I say emerging, what I’m saying is I’m trying to erase the
false division that exists between profession and doing. My doing shall come out of my being.
8. When I say emerging, I’m saying I want to erase the so-called
barrier between social action and love for Jesus. If we love Jesus, we
love our brother, we love the poor, and we help those who are
disadvantaged. And that’s not a compromise, that’s an outcome.
9. When I use the word emerging what I’m saying is I want to carry on a conversation not a confrontation.
10. When I use the word emerging I’m saying I want to be faithful to
the gospel and to the foundation of God’s word. I want to use the kinds
of words that people understand. I use words that bring people
together, not words that divide them. I’m not looking for a fight. I’m
looking to join a group of men and women who are part of this worldwide
revolution of presenting the gospel in a dark, dangerous, sad world.
These are some of the things I mean by emerging. What do you mean?