Who is JR?
Oct 25, 2010
Who shot JR? I mean, who is JR?
Nobody knows. Or at least the majority of the world doesn’t. But here’s what we do know:
- JR’s art gallery is enormous. It’s the world.
- JR recently covered rooftops in Kibera, Kenya, with blown-up photographs of the women who lived there.
- JR chooses people on the fringe as subjects and models.
- His first large-format postings began appearing on walls in Paris and Rome in 2003.
- In 2006, he launched “Portrait of a Generation,” huge-format portraits of suburban “thugs” from Paris’ notorious banlieues, posted on the walls of the bourgeois districts of Paris.
- In 2007, with business partner Marco, he did “Face 2 Face,” which some consider the biggest illegal photo exhibition ever.
- JR creates pervasive art that spreads uninvited on buildings of Parisian slums, on walls in the Middle East, on broken bridges in Africa or in favelas in Brazil.
- He is the 2011 TED Prize Winner. Deservedly so.
- JR has inspired me.
JR’s 28 millimetres site
New York Times slideshow of JR’s recent project. (Must see…)